Summary of Background
Experience with team and project management, leadership, planning, financial problem solving, budget development and decision-making responsibilities in various positions: Transportation Manager, City of Menlo Park, California – May 2013-Current. Acting Senior Transportation Specialist, City of San Jose, California – July 2011-May 2013. President and Founder of Accessibility Consulting Services, Port St Lucie, Florida – January 2010-December 2011. Traffic Operations Manager, City of Port St Lucie, Florida – May 2006-June 2011. Project Manager, Duraseal of the Treasure Coast, Inc. – August 2000-May 2005.
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) - Fort Lauderdale, FL
M.P.A., Master of Public Administration
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) - Daytona Beach, FL
B.S., Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
Indian River Community College (IRCC) - Fort Pierce, FL
A.A., Associate in Arts
Transportation Manager, City of Menlo Park - Menlo Park, CA
City of Menlo Park, California - May 2013 – Current
Acting Senior Transportation Specialist, City of San Jose - San Jose, CA
· Project manager/engineer for numerous transportation related projects
which include but are not limited to; multi-modal enhancement projects, Hedding Street and San Fernando Street Green Bike Lane Improvements, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th & Almaden Boulevard Bike Lane Projects, Safe Routes 2 Schools Sidewalk Projects, Safe Routes 2 Transit Pedestrian Improvements, Autumn Street property acquisition and roadway extension, The Alameda Bus Rapid Transit and Pedestrian Enhancement Project and design and implementation of the San Jose Department of Transportation website redesign.
Additionally, I have been the lead grant writer and grant manager for the Department of Transportation Planning and Project Delivery Division. To date; I have secured funding from the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) and a number of other State and Federal funding programs exceeding $8.3 million dollars for the City of San José to improve roadway networks, drainage, sidewalks, bike lanes, lighting, sidewalk amenities and public art. In addition, I provide guidance to three other Transportation Specialist and two project interns, leading the team on grant management and funding reimbursement. Project experience includes the use of; AUTOCAD, Synchro, Simtraffic and all Microsoft office Products as well as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Founder and President, Engineering & ADA Consulting -Port Saint Lucie, FL
ACS, Accessibility Consulting Services - January 2010 – December 2011
· Founder and president of the compliance-oriented consulting firm. Providing engineering based consultation to private business owners, attorneys, insurance agencies and municipalities, insuring that the users of their business and public areas are constructed and maintained in accordance with today’s Federal and State requirements. Case referrals have ranged from personal injury attorneys: Vastola and Associates, Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney and The Law Offices of Hoskins, Turco, Lloyd and Lloyd. Cases types range from: fast food restaurants’ seating areas, a pedestrian access way of a medical office facility, sidewalks of gas stations and roadway maintenance.
Manager, Traffic Operations, City of Port St. Lucie - Port Saint Lucie, FL
City of Port Saint Lucie, Florida, Engineering Department - May 2006 - June 2011
· Responsible for direct oversight and management of the City of Port St Lucie’s Traffic Operations Division. Responsible for producing and maintaining the departments annual budget of approximately $2.9 million dollars, implementation of the City’s fiber optic communications network, roadway signs, street markings, school zone flashers, signalized intersections, pedestrian lighting, roadway lighting, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS), traffic crash evaluations, customer service, 24x7 on call crews and all other vehicular and pedestrian safety and mobility aspects of the City’s infrastructure.
· Director of construction, implementation, monitoring, customer service, network uptime, network design and hardware maintenance of the City of Port St. Lucie’s fiber optic communication network. This network was developed under my direction to provide citywide governmental internet service, file sharing, traffic signal communication, traffic cameras and police department surveillance. As the Manager of Traffic Operations, I selected and lead a team of skilled project managers, supervisors, customer service representatives and field technicians to design, install, splice and maintain a redundant ringed fiber optic network through the use of hardwired fiber optic lines and wireless sending/receiving units.
· Milestones include, but are not limited to: citywide LED/Solar lighting conversion analysis, procurement and implementation of FDOT grant funds for pedestrian lighting and fiber optic communication lines, consolidation of the Public Works and Engineering Department’s Traffic Divisions including security and standard operating procedures.
· Project milestones include, but are not limited to: project and budget management of Federally-funded “Americans Recovery and Reinvestment Act” (ARRA) sidewalk and roadway projects: The 2010 Westmoreland milling and resurfacing project was designed and estimated with a construction duration of 84 calendar days with a budget of $1.754 million dollars. Under my direction, this project was completed in only 20 days with a cost savings of over $900,000.00. Also under my direction, the 2010 SW California sidewalk project was designed with an estimated construction duration of 60 calendar days and a budget of $145,000.00, this project was completed in 14 days with a cost savings of almost $80,000.00.
· Resident expert for all of the City’s various departments and active continuing services contractors for ADA compliance. Design and project management of the City’s of Port St. Lucie’s “School Bus Stop Shelter” pilot program. Design and development of numerous FDOT sponsored “Safe Routes to Schools” sidewalk safety improvement projects. Management and implementation of the City of Port St. Lucie’s “Sidewalk Priority” program which designed and constructed approximately 11.5 miles of ADA compliant, pedestrian friendly sidewalk within a 3 year period. Member of the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Community Traffic Safety Team, St. Lucie County School Board Bus Stop Committee, 2010 St. Lucie County Fire District Strategic Planning Committee and 2009 United States Department of Justice vs. City of Port St. Lucie Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Settlement Agreement negotiation team.
Project Manager, Asphalt Maintenance - Palm City, FL
Duraseal of the Treasure Coast, Inc. - August 2000 - May 2005
· Project scheduling and management for well-known Martin County paving and roadway maintenance company installing roadway signage, roadway markings, asphalt, curbing and other roadway facilities in compliance with applicable State and Federal standards.